Reprinted from the Global Alliance Code of Ethics:
- A code of ethics and professional conduct is an individual matter that should be viewed as a guide to make sound values-based decisions.
- Ethical performance, not principles, is ultimately what counts. No one can dictate precise outcomes for every situation.
- However, we can apply common values and decision-making processes to arrive at a decision and justify it to others.
- In making decisions, we should be guided by a higher sense of serving the public as a whole as opposed to specific constituencies on an exclusive basis.
- Consideration should be given to the protection of privacy of individuals and respect for the spirit as well as the letter of applicable laws.
Global Alliance Decision-making guide
- Define the specific ethical issue/conflict.
- Identify internal/external factors (e.g. legal, political, social, economic) that may influence the decision.
- Identify key values that are in question
- Identify the parties who will be affected by the decision and define the public relations professional’s obligation to each.
- Select the ethical principles to guide the decision-making process.
- Make a decision and justify it to all parties affected by the decision and to the public if necessary.